SPACE call for proposals for performance/dance works as part of Moving in SPACE
SPACE Gallery is seeking proposals for performance/dance works as part of our newly established Moving in SPACE works-in-progress series. The series aims to provide a much needed regional performance opportunity for works in development in the contemporary dance and performance scene. Successful proposals will be for original works that are either in development or have only been performed a few times, yet could take advantage of this opportunity for creative improvements. Projects will be selected through a proposal process with an emphasis on new projects in development. The applications and work sample will be evaluated based on: Vitality of the proposed project and it’s ideas, Quality and integrity of the work, Appropriateness of the project and it’s format to SPACE and the artist's ability to successfully realize the proposed project.
Successful applicants will be given the opportunity to:
- Participate in a choreolab on Sunday March 11, 2018 to be held at SPACE (requirement for local artists, requested for artists outside the area). Choreolab, led by Maine-based Performance artist, Sara Juli, provides an artistic playground for choreographers, dancers and movers, where specific ideas on creation for movement and performance are researched in a peer-to-peer setting.
- Perform on a mixed bill with other performers on Thursday May 31, 2018 at SPACE gallery.
- Selected artists will receive an artist stipend, video and photo documentation of their performance and technical assistance*
* Please note that SPACE gallery is not a traditional dance venue and therefore can provide only basic technical assistance. Photos of SPACE's main space can be found here. (where the performance will take place can be found here, please note SPACE's gallery is not available to be used for this performance)
- Submit a maximum one-page proposal detailing what you would like to perform
- Submit 3-5 minutes of unedited video work sample with a description of work sample
- Participants must be based in or have a strong connection to New England.
- Participants must adapt their performance to SPACE’s technical abilities and limitations.
For Questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org